Five Products That Are Dangerous for Dogs

Five Products That Are Dangerous for Dogs

Hey there fellow dog lovers!

As much as we love to pamper our dogs, it’s super important to know what’s safe for them and what’s not. Sometimes, things that seem perfectly harmless to us can actually be quite dangerous for dogs. So let’s dive into five common products you should keep away from them, starting with rawhide chews and peanut butter...

1. Rawhide Chews

First up, let's start with the BIG question about rawhide chews...

Why do some pet shops still sell rawhide if it’s so dangerous?

Basically, the main reasons are high demand and even higher profit margins.

Demand: Many dog owners are not aware of the risks of rawhide and continue to buy it because it’s marketed as a long lasting chew and dental health aid.

Big profits: Rawhide is cheap to produce and because it's popular, it makes big profit for big businesses.

Unfortunately, this means that until more dog owners are informed about the dangers, rawhide will likely remain on shop shelves.

So, let's dig deeper into why rawhide is so bad and dangerous for dogs...

Rawhide is hard to digest and is proven to cause blockages in dog intestines. Not to mention, some rawhide products are treated with chemicals like BLEACH that aren't safe for our dogs. Plus, there’s always the choking hazard when pieces break off.

Don’t just take our word for it; many vets share the same concern. Dr. Karen Becker, a well-known holistic vet, states, “Rawhide chews pose serious health risks to pets, including choking, chemical exposure, and the potential for gastrointestinal blockages.” Similarly, Dr. Marty Becker says, “Rawhide chews can cause a range of issues, from minor digestive upset to life-threatening intestinal blockages.”

If your dog loves to chew and you want to keep them occupied safely, it’s better to opt for alternatives like our range of safe and long lasting dog chews that are free from rawhide. These will provide the same benefits without the risks associated with rawhide.

2. Peanut Butter

Who doesn’t love peanut butter? It’s a tasty treat for us, and dogs seem to adore it too. However, not all peanut butter is created equal. Many brands of peanut butter contain an ingredient called xylitol (also sometimes described as birch sugar), an artificial sweetener that is extremely toxic to dogs. Even a small amount can cause a rapid release of insulin, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure, or even prove fatal. Always check the label and make sure your peanut butter is xylitol-free before sharing it with your pup. 

Here's our dog safe peanut butter.

3. Grapes and Raisins

This one might surprise you, but grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can lead to sudden kidney failure. Symptoms of grape or raisin poisoning include vomiting, lethargy, and a lack of appetite. If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, it’s crucial to contact your vet immediately. As tasty as these fruits are for us, it’s best to keep them far away from your dog. Be particularly carful with hot cross buns around Easter time.

4. Chocolate

Most dog owners are aware of this one, but it’s worth repeating: chocolate is a big no-no for dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, both of which are toxic to dogs. Different types of chocolate contain varying levels of these substances, with darker chocolate being more dangerous. Ingesting chocolate can cause symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and even seizures. So, keep those chocolate treats for yourself and offer your dog something safer, like a piece of apple or carrot.

5. Household Cleaners

Finally, let’s talk about household cleaners. Many common cleaning products contain chemicals that are harmful to dogs. Things like bleach, ammonia, and even some "green" cleaners can cause irritation, burns, or poisoning if ingested or if they come into contact with your dog's skin or paws. Always store cleaning supplies out of reach and opt for pet-safe cleaning products whenever possible. If your dog does come into contact with a harmful cleaner, rinse the area with water and contact your vet.

When cleaning your home, avoid your dog coming into contact with chemicals and fumes, ensure there's adequate ventilation or remove your dog completely from the home when cleaning.

In conclusion, being a dog parent means being vigilant about what they have access to. While it’s tempting to share everything with your dog, it’s crucial to know what’s safe and what’s not. By keeping rawhide chews, certain peanut butters, grapes and raisins, chocolate, and hazardous household cleaners out of reach, we can help ensure our dogs stay happy and healthy. 

Stay informed, stay safe, and give your pup an extra belly rub from us!

Make a donation.

Donate via the muthapuppa JustGiving page. 100% of donations help rescue dogs.